Mahesh Das was a citizen in the kingdom of Akbar. He was an intelligent young man.

Once upon a time, King Akbar went hunting in the forest and lost his way. He called for help but it was of no use. Then the sun started to set. King Akbar said, “Soon it will be dark. And here I am, all alone in the woods!” Mahesh Das who lived in the outskirts heard a call and ran to the king. Akbar was glad to see him!

“I know the way back to the palace, follow me,” said Mahesh Das to king Akbar.

The king said, “Young man, I want to give you a gift.”  He took a ring from his finger and gave it to Mahesh Das. He also promised to give him a responsible posting at his court.


After a few days, Mahesh Das went to the court. But the guard stopped him at the door.  “Halt!” he said.  “You do not look like someone who should see the king!” 

“But I have come to see him,” said Mahesh Das. “And the king knows me.” He showed the guard the ring that king Akbar had given him.

“Well, now!” The guard thought to himself, “I think this young man is sure to be bestowed with more gifts from the king."

The greedy guard said to Mahesh Das, “Listen to me. I will let you go inside. But you will have to pay me half the reward that you would get from the king.”  The guard crossed his arms.  “That’s the deal,” he said. Mahesh Das accepted the condition.


He then entered the court and showed the ring to the King. The King immediately recognized Mahesh Das and asked him, “Oh young man! What will you accept as a reward from the king of Hindustan?”

“My Majesty! I will accept 100 lashes as a reward from you,” replied Mahesh Das. The courtiers were stunned and thought that Mahesh was insane. Akbar pondered over his request and asked him the reason.

“I will tell you the reason after receiving my reward" replied Mahesh Das. Then the king’s guard whipped him as per his wish. But after the 50th lash, Mahesh Das requested the King to call the guard who was at the gate.

The guard appeared before the King. He was happy at the thought that he was about to be rewarded richly. But to his surprise, Mahesh Das told the King, “Your Majesty, this greedy guard let me inside on the condition that I pay him half the reward I receive from you. I wanted to teach him a lesson. Please give the remaining 50 lashes to him so that I can keep my promise to him."


The king ordered the guard to be given the 50 lashes immediately along with 5 years of imprisonment. The king was very happy with Mahesh Das. He invited the young man to stay at the palace and serve as his royal advisor. He gave him the name “BIRBAL” and made him his chief minister.


date Wednesday 26 February 2020

0 comments to “Short story # 9 Half the reward”

Leave a Reply:

Popular Posts

Stories

Collection of Short Stories, Kids Stories, Moral stories, Bedtime stories, Fairytales, Akbar Birbal stories, Ramayan stories, Mahabharat stories, Tenaliraman stories, Panchatantra, Aesop fables

    Powered by Blogger.